Monday, October 19, 2015

Judaism, identity, college admissions

By Sydney Tischler, St. Louis Jewish Light

For seniors in high school, right now can be a crazy time. With early decision deadlines looming, school work in full swing, and friendships and family relationships to maintain, fall of senior year is notoriously stressful. Jewish students have another layer of stress to deal with: It is easy to feel like a commodity or marginalized because of our religion.

Personally, a strong Jewish community has not been the top priority throughout my college search. However, the vast majority of conversations I have had about my top schools have involved my Jewish identity, though they have not been initiated by me. From chats about Hillel to pamphlets about scholarships specifically for Judaic Studies majors, I have had a hard time distinguishing flattery from microaggression. Most of these conversations have been with adults well-versed in the college process.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment