Monday, April 20, 2015

Why Small Campus Jewish Communities Are the Best

by Miranda Cooper, newvoices.org

When applying to colleges, I gave barely any thought to Jewish life on campus. This was not because I didn’t care about being engaged with a Jewish community; on the contrary, between leading my Temple Youth Group, attending regional NFTY events, working as a teaching assistant at a religious school, and moving up the ranks at a URJ camp, I was very attached to my various Reform Jewish commitments throughout high school, and wanted to continue this involvement in college. But having grown up in Pittsburgh, where you can walk down the main thoroughfare in Squirrel Hill and pass four shuls, a JCC, a yeshiva, and your friend’s Bubbe, it just never occurred to me that I might find myself in a place where I would actively have to seek out Jewish life. So unlike some of my friends at Williams College, for whom a strong Jewish presence on campus was a major factor in their college decisions, I had no idea that any one college might have a “better” Jewish community than another.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment